- Elite Class Developments has filed a third submission for their development project at 6835 Main Street and 447 Loretta Crescent.
- Two sets of freehold semi-detached homes are now proposed, one facing Main Street (Building C) and the other facing Loretta Crescent (Building A).
- A building consisting of five condominium townhouses would sit between them, facing Eastern Gate Crescent (Building B).
- The combined 0.1525-hectare site consists of two properties, each with a one-storey single detached home intended for demolition. A map is included below.
- Prior to the third submission, the single building’s height was presented at 12.09 meters. Now, the heights gradually reduce as they move south from Main into the Loretta Crescent area:
- Building A: 10 meters
- Building B: 11.69 meters
- Building C: 12.9 meters
- Two parking spaces would be provided per unit, one within a garage and one on a private driveway. Two visitor parking spaces off Eastern Gate are also included.
- The project and its requested zoning amendments will be formally presented to Council and the public at this week’s Public Planning Meeting. It takes place in Council Chambers on Wednesday, January 31, at 7 p.m.
- The much-discussed 5964 Main Street tower will also be addressed at the meeting.
Since the first submission, the Town has received many comments and correspondence from the public. Concerns revolved around a lack of transition to the Loretta neighbourhood, balcony-related privacy concerns, incompatible architectural design, insufficient yard space, minimal parking, and more.
This newest submission reduced the number of proposed units from 10 townhouses to four semi-detached dwellings and five townhouses. The development will have access to Eastern Gate Crescent, a private road, through an agreement with the Main & Co. condominium corporation. Contrary to what is shown in the included renderings, there are no plans to link that street with Loretta.
The semi-detached building facing Main Street and the townhouse building along Eastern Gate Crescent are proposed at four storeys, while the Loretta Crescent semi-detached building is three storeys to better ease into the already established residential neighbourhood. Unit sizes range from roughly 2,000 square feet to just over 3,500 square feet. All would include front and rear yards plus balcony space facing their respective roadways.
While the number of proposed units and overall density has decreased slightly, the total building floor area has increased from 1,636 square meters to 2,150 square meters. This has resulted in some overall reductions in landscaped area and setbacks to adjacent properties and roads. Zoning amendments are needed to accommodate the smaller lots and yards, as well as the taller building heights, within the existing zoning.
According to the related Staff Report, the Town’s ability to dictate architectural features such as building materials and aesthetics is limited, as the proposal does not require Site Plan Control. “Bill 23, More Homes Built Faster Act, removed this process for residential development projects of ten units or less,” the report explains. They hope to include some conditions regarding landscape, architectural, and streetscape design through other planning processes.
Residents looking to speak to the proposal can email their comments to email@example.com for inclusion on the public record and/or speak at the public meeting. Those looking to provide thoughts after the meeting has taken place can send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Plans, renderings, and drawings property of Vizion Media Inc. and Elite Class Developments. Maps courtesy of Town Staff as found in the Staff Report.