- The 23rd Whitchurch-Stouffville Studio Tour is taking place this weekend, October 14 and 15, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- The event will showcase the work of 16 local artists, including painters, potters, sculptors, and functional art and jewellery makers working in glass, metal, clay, and other mixed media.
- The artists will be present at 13 Stouffville studio locations, where their art will be on display and available for purchase.
- Each participating artist was carefully selected by a jury and approved by the Studio Tour committee.
- More information on the participating artists and their talents can be found here, and a map of the open studios is available here.
- Each studio visit offers guests an opportunity to enter a draw for a piece of that artists work. Winners will be selected on Sunday at 4:30 p.m.
The Studio Tour’s mission is to offer access to visual art in an open environment, providing the public with an opportunity to get to know the artists working in their community. “All artists reside or work at their Whitchurch-Stouffville studios,” the Studio Tour’s website explains. “Collectively, they have an eclectic body of work, significant artistic experience, and many awards and accolades between them.”
The inaugural event took place in 2000 when a small group of local artists held an exhibition in the Town’s old municipal offices building. The event had expanded by 2002, when a group of potters and painters expanded the exhibition to also include Council Chambers. In a short time, the tour moved into the studios of an increasing number of participating artists, and with them came an expanded variety or represented artistic mediums.